


When I think of Suzette in high school, I remember a bundle of energy. She was always laughing or smiling, talking or doing ... or more often, all four at once. Perky, high-spirited, quick to speak her mind, and active in a lot of school activities. Most of my memories of her involve the many fast-paced discussions we got into, waiting for school to start at the old high school cafeteria, over lunch or between classes or wherever. While we shared a lot of classes, I remember her most vividly in Joanne Sporleder's AP English. "Pride and Prejudice," "Crime and Punishment," and "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" come to mind first, for some reason. Oh, and "The Canterbury Tales." All good for hours of philosophical discussions about the meaning of life, gender roles throughout history and free will vs. destiny ... the sorts of things we got so fired up over back then. And oh, did we get into the religious debates! What a strong defender of her faith Suzette has always been! Our respectively strong beliefs in LDS vs. Catholic tradition, doctrine and practice may have gotten a little heated at times. But while we usually ended by "agreeing to disagree," I always, always, always admired her conviction.
And now, when I think of the Suzette I have been reacquainted with at our high school reunions, I smile to think of what a beautiful, strong, vibrant woman she is today. And one the years may have mellowed slightly, but certainly not slowed down! Perhaps the best thing about being reunited with her is realizing that people don't always fit the mold you expected for them so many years ago ... in Suzette's case, she has far exceeded! I love hearing about her life: She is still just as active and engaged as ever, and glowing with a bright, beautiful spirit. She truly is a blessing, and her friendship is both an honor and a joy.

